As the calendar flips to September, I’m battling some late summer lackadaisical energy…you know, when trying to get something accomplished feels more like pushing string. For me one way to release “should-related” stress is giving myself permission to dig in to past newsletters and share info that still applies (what my friend Ryan refers to as “evergreen copy,” a concept that totally works right now!). Let’s revisit some evergreen stress release suggestions from a few years ago to promote a nice EZ/PZ late summer vibe!
“You can’t always control what goes on outside,
but you can always control what goes on inside.”
This quote from Wayne Dyer is so true. We may not be able to avoid, change or eliminate life’s inevitable stressors but we do have tools to help deal with them. Below are 7 simple and effective ways to de-stress — one for each day of the week if you’re so inclined!
7 Simple Ways to Relieve Stress
- Breathe deeply. It’s the all-purpose way to de-stress! Stop and take 5 long, slow, deep breaths several times every day.
- Get up and move. Circumnavigate your desk, walk down the hall and back, climb the stairs.
- Connect with nature. Go outside to release what’s going on inside (your head). Listen to sounds, look at the flowers, feel the breeze.
- S – T – R – E – T – C – H! We’re a tad shorter by day’s end. Defy gravity by standing up and stretching!
- Close your eyes. Give your hardworking eyes a well-deserved time out. And remember to breathe!
- Tighten up…then let go. Inhale and tighten everything: squeeze your facial muscles, raise your shoulders, make fists, curl your toes. Hold your breath in for a count of 3; exhale and slowly release, completely letting go. Repeat a few times.
- Elevate your legs. Reversing blood flow is good for your internal organs, your complexion, your brain. Lie on your back with your calves on the seat of a chair, get comfortable (a blanket over you, a rolled towel under your neck), relax, and just be.